Meringue Roulade with Strawberry, Rhubarb and Mascarpone
Crunchy on the outside, soft and marshmallowy on the inside - this meringue roulade with strawberries, rhubarb and mascarpone will make a great dessert for your party!
Servings: 10 servings
- 130 g egg whites about 4 eggs
- 230 g powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
Strawberry and Rhubarb Filling
- 130 g strawberries
- 250 g rhubarb
- 35 g sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean scraped seeds
- 200 g mascarpone cheese
- 400 g whipping cream cold
- 1 packet vanilla sugar 10 g
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g strawberries
- mint leaves
- a few poached rhubarb stalks
Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a 30 x 40 cm baking tray with parchment paper.
Whisk the wgg whites wtih an electric mixer on medium speed until they start to froth (2-3 min).
Add the cream of tartar (optional, helps to stabilize the egg whites) and mix it in.
Start adding the sugar slowly spoon by spoon whilst mixing on medium-high speed until you get stiff and glossy peaks, about 10 minutes.
Mix together the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla. Add into the meringue and mix it in until it's well distributed.
Distrubute the meringue on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the middle rack for 22-25 minutes. The meringue should be white with a bit of golden color and crunchy on the outside.
Turn the metingue onto a baking paper with some dusted powdered sugar and leave to cool.
Strawberry and Rhubarb Filling
Cut the rhubard and strawberries to small pieces (around 1 cm) and place them to a pan with the sugar and vanilla seeds.
Cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat or until the rhubarb is soft but still has some bite to it.
Remove form heat and leave to cool.
Remove the parchment paper from the meringue. Spread the cooled strawberris and rhubarb filling over the meringue leaving 1 cm of space from the long edges and 5 cm from one short end.
Now spread the mascarpone cream on top of the filling. Leave some of it for the decoration on top.
Roll the meringue roulade form the shorter end away from you (the end that is has filling to the edge). Help yourself lifting the roulade with the parchment paper underneath. Rolling it is just like folding it over itself.
Carefully transef to a plate and refrigerate for 15-30 min.
Decorate with piped mascarpone cream, strawberries, poached rhubarb stalks and mint.
Serve and enjoy!
- The cream of tartar is optional but it helps to stabilize the egg whites.
- The sugar in the strawberry/rhubarb filling should depend on the sweetness of your fruit but the meringue itself is already enough sweet so you don't need too much.
- Check the post for more modification ideas (different fillings)
- The meringue roulade is best eaten the day it's made.
- It will keep in the fridge for 3 days but it will leave some liquid out and lose the crunchiness on the outside.
- The longer the roulade waits for the more marshmallowy it will be on the inside.
- To make a day before, bake the meringue and make the filling but fill it on the day that you serve it.
- Check the post for more information of making in advance and freezing the roulade.